Emerging from Coronavirus
Your Input Please!
We have had a document from the Diocese entitled “Emerging from Coronavirus”, which we could use as a tool to aid for reflection in our parishes. It is a long document and you can download it in full here https://www.oxford.anglican.org/coronavirus-covid-19-2/emerging-from-coronavirus/ .
In essence it asks us to reflect on what’s happened over the last few months through the pandemic and how that has affected us and how we respond and look to the future. I have shortened the document below.
It is based on the Anglican Five Marks of Mission and Bishop Steven in his introduction to the document says, ‘The Five Marks of Mission connect very closely with our calling to be a more Christ-like Church for the sake of God’s world. These are five different aspects of the work and character of Jesus Christ. Because Jesus does these things, so do we, his Church.
We would greatly value your thoughts and responses on any, just some or all of the sections. Your responses don’t need to be detailed, just your thoughts and reflections would be helpful in a sentence or few words. If it’s easier to respond, this information is also attached as a separate document and if you could please send it back to our admin email at email@example.com or alternatively reply to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Anglican Five Marks of Mission
1 To proclaim the Good News of the Kingdom
2 To teach, baptise and nurture new believers
3 To respond to human need by loving service
4 To transform unjust structures of society, to challenge violence of every kind and pursue peace and reconciliation
5 To strive to safeguard the integrity of creation, and sustain and renew the life of the earth.
There are five sections loosely based on these Anglican Five Marks of Mission. These sections are:
- Prayer & Worship: return to church buildings, online provision, services provision
- Catechesis (which means Christian teaching nurture) for new and previously hidden sheep
- Pastoral Care: local community, occasional offices, memorials, continued shielding
- Social Justice: economic crisis, poverty, abuse, mental health
- Environment: carbon neutral, opportunities coming from C-19
Six questions are applied to each section– again please feel free to respond to all or a few of these questions for each of the sections.
- What has been lost that we need to grieve?
- What has been paused or reduced that we have an opportunity to let go of?
- What has been paused or reduced that we need to work at to renew?
- What has been discovered that we will need to respond to?
- What is positive, new and emerging to be developed and resource?
- What might we now need to do next?
Thank you so much for your help and responses, it will all be collated to help our discussions and reflections as a PCC and the way forward for St Mary’s in our mission and ministry.