The church consists of five areas:-
- The chancel, built of brick with a stone slate roof by Bodley & Garner in 1892 to replace the apse on the earlier 1843 building, is spatially separated from the nave by the chancel arch and screen. The chancel is different in character from the nave, tightly enclosed by its decorated walls, deliberately not spacious, and with a directional focus given by the architecture culminating at the altar in front of the east wall. The high level of decoration includes a number of gilded and crowned monogram M’s, suggesting a move to Anglo-Catholocism at the time. A similarly decorated chancel by the same designers can be found in the chapel of Queen’s College, Cambridge. The Chancel floor consists in the main of stone slabs including memorial stones to Garnans Daunser, Rector of the Parish who died in 1676; Matthew Robinson, another Rector who died in 1827; James Burgess who died in 1757; and incongruously 13 year old Harriet Eliza Priestley from Halifax who died in 1819. The current position of these stones is unlikely to reflect their original position, as the first is on top of heating pipes, and the remaining three on the line of the 1842 apse wall. There are two large cast iron gratings (over former heating pipes) and the steps leading to the high altar are tiled. On each side is a choir stall affixed to the wall, with carved linen fold frontals. In front of them was another row of movable benches and plain fronts of a size only suitable for younger children. These have been temporarily removed fully revealing the memorial stones below. The front stalls are different in design to the rear set which are affixed to the wall, and stand on separate plinths suggesting they may have been a later addition.
- The nave and transepts form one continuous space built in 1843, with a wide and open feel due to the lack of pillars and the cruciform nature of the building. Although wide, they are dominated by the dark green colour of the chancel wall, leading to the chancel beyond. The original high stone pulpit and reading stand were removed at the time of the construction of the new chancel, and replaced by an ornate wooden pulpit, and a reading stand which has been subsequently removed. At the same time a painting of the annunciation in the style of the Oxford School was added above the chancel arch. The nave contains open benches from 1843 set at an angle to the front to enable a wide-enough aisle for ease of use by the congregation and especially those with mobility difficulties and wheelchair users. The original wood floor in the nave was subject to wet rot and fungal infection and was replaced with a composite laid in 1948. The number of benches was reduced when the nave altar was introduced in the 1970’s. The nave was redecorated in 1947 and again in 1977. Prior to 1977 the painting on the chancel wall had been surrounded by another colour, but the decorator (Campbell, Smith & Co) suggested the wall be painted in a uniform shade of green. A visiting dignitary in 1928 had commented on the improvement that would be achieved if the walls were white, so it may be that the 1977 change simply restored the pre 1947 position. Further redecoration took place in 1990.
- The transepts contain closed box pews, with a narrow aisle (widened nearest the north transept door to the Parish Centre). All the pews are original to the Victorian building. In 1983 the south transept was partitioned to provide a storage area and choir and servers’ vestry. The contrast between the open spaciousness of the nave and the more enclosed space of the chancel accords with the way in which worship took place in Victorian churches. The chancel was the area ‘set aside’ and wholly consecrated to worship, while the nave was open to wider use by the congregation and the community. The fixed box pews are set upon raised plinths with a void below. The floor of the aisles is a mixture of aggregate, metal grill, and wooden infill.
- The vestry in the north eastern corner with doors to the nave, the chancel and an external door, and an organ chamber in the north western were provided at the same time as the Chancel. Both have flat roofs. A range of modern cupboard units were fitted in to the vestry in 1992. The floor is of wooden blocks
- The apsidal porch below the tower at the west end (1843) is separated from the nave by double wooden doors, and contains two alabaster effigies and two further pairs of wooden doors leading to the north and south external doors respectively The tower was renovated in 1901. The southern door, once presumably the major of the two entrances, is no longer used, and the outer porch has been converted to a storage area.