A cutting from a magazine states that the Burghfield bell was a Buddhist bell collected by Thomas Bland Garland, a noted traveller and is now in the Ashmolean,

An article in the Reading Mercury dated 28 Nov 1964 by Leslie North includes:

  • Dr Horatio Bland started Mrs Blands School in 1872 in memory of his wife, and also built the adjacent mission hall (then still extant). It housed his collection which was bequeathed to Reading Borough in 1883 and formed the basis of Reading museum
  • The font has survived from the earlier church
  • The de Burghfields held the manor under the Mortimers until about 1327 when Sir Hugh Carewy, (eventually Treasurer & Chancellor of England) took over
  • He refers to only two manors, One granted by Queen Emma to Winchester Abbey, and held by Abbot Elsi until he was outlawed in 1070, when it passed to the Mortimers. It was known as Burghfield Regis or Nethercourt. It passed through several owners and came to the Earls of Shrewsbury in 1611 remaining with them until the nineteenth century
  • The other, also held by the de Burghfields under Reading Abbey was granted to Sir John Williams of Thame by Henry VIII
  • Sheffield Mill became a paper mill in 1811 and burht down in 1877
  • He says it was a doodlebug that exploded and caused the damage to the windows
  • The Three Firs was home to the Burghfield mummers, and the South Berks Hunt met here on Boxing Day
  • Mrs Margaret Kirkwood in 1913 built an holiday house and gave it to the Parish Council for use as a Workingmens club. Motto: Non sibi sed toti, Not for oneself but for all. At the time of writing it was mainly used by teenagers. Mrs K was anti gambling and drink