Burghfield was a pre-Roman, Celtic settlement. From pre-Conquest times it was divided into three manors: Burghfield Regis, Burghfield Abbas and Sheffield. In the Domesday Book, Burghfield is mentioned as having a church (“a church is there” (Domesday Book XLVI Terra Radulfi de Mortemer). The earliest known incumbent was Peter de Burghfield in 1359. The area was agrarian until the twentieth century when the creation of an ordnance factory brought changes. A camp for troops was created in the Second World War and since the 1960’s the area has become predominantly a dormitory settlement both for the nearby Atomic Weapons Establishments, Reading, and given the M4 links, London.
No major events are recorded in history although there was a cavalry skirmish at Burghfield Bridge at the time of the first battle of Newbury in the Civil War (1643). The most prominent person connected with the Church is the fourteenth century landowner and parliamentarian Sir Roger de Burghfield. Originally in the Diocese of Salisbury, the parish was transferred to Oxford with the rest of Berkshire in 1836.