Sir John Williams, a direct descendant of Iestyn ap Gwrgant (the last prince of Morgannwg (Glamorgan), married Elizabeth Moore (a considerable Burghfield heiress) c1495. Their second son (also John) purchased the Burghfield manors after the Dissolution of the monasteries (1536-40). He became Lord Williams of Thame. His main residence was Rycote Palace in Oxfordshire but he often stayed in Burghfield because it was nearer to London. His sons all predeceased him, and his estates passed to his daughter Margery and Her Husband Henry, Lord Norreys of Rycote. Henry granted Burghfield to his wife’s cousin Nicholas for his lifetime.
The Norrey’s and their heirs the Earls of Abingdon rented the Burghfield manors out to tenants until they sold up around 1803.
The 1719 Antiquities of Berkshire by Elias Ashmore refers to a fair raised monument in a chapel to the south side of the chancel surmounted by brass plates and the figures of a man in armour lying between his two wives and at their feet two brass tablets, one of which was an eulogy whilst the other recorded the death of Nicholas Williams on 1/4/1568, and of his brother Richard 9 days later. It is recorded that Nicholas had two wives, Elizabeth & Mabel, with a daughter by each. A note from Rector Cherry in the Baptism Register records that the brasses had originally been in the chapel adjacent to the nave in the pre 1842 church; that the inscription naming those represented had not been seen since before his incumbency in 1827; and that they had been found when the old church was demolished and placed against the south wall of the apse. One of the female figures (Elizabeth) has subsequently been lost. A photograph from 3/77 shows them on the west wall to the south of the nave door.